1. What is your favorite vegetable?
Either hatch chiles or okra. Both
are special to James – hatch chiles because they are seasonal (and in fact we
have an alarming number in the refrigerator at our house right now, filling an
entire crisper drawer of our refrigerator) and okra because it’s hard to come
by where James grew up in the north – we would have to drive down to South
Chicago stores where there is a large African American population to get
it. James makes amazing dry-fried cumin
okra, and our children adore okra too (their preschool teacher teases us for
sending them to school with okra and seaweed in their lunchboxes, but they
truly love it). Since marrying me (I’m half Indian), he’s become great at
preparing Indian food, including many okra recipes.
2. What is your profession?
James is a law professor at
University of Texas, specializing in corporate and securities fraud
3. What would you like to learn most from a hunting school?
3. What would you like to learn most from a hunting school?
I think James has always felt a moral obligation to at least
try hunting once, since he loves animals and also loves eating them. I know he’s very curious about the experience
– I grew up in Alaska, so I am familiar with hunting and most people I knew
went hunting, but he knows almost no one that hunts and has rarely had the
opportunity to taste wild game. I know he will be fascinated by the butchery
process – since we’ve moved to Texas a year and a half ago, he’s become
interested in smoking and curing meats and does so regularly.
4. Describe the best hunting/food experience you’ve ever had.
4. Describe the best hunting/food experience you’ve ever had.
James has only gone hunting once – for ducks. I gave him a
duck hunting trip with my brother for Christmas when we first moved to Texas and
it was the best gift I’ve ever given him. He didn’t shoot a duck, but he
enjoyed the experience and really admired the hunting dogs. But James’s love of
nature (though a city boy raised in Chicago and for the past ten years living
in huge cities like Boston, New York, Chicago, Hong Kong, and Los Angeles)
combined with passion for cooking have
combined in other ways – for example, clamming, fishing, berry gathering, and
gardening. We were in Nova Scotia over the summer, and James got up at dawn
each morning to catch the low tide and dig for soft-shell “seamer” clams (see
below). Probably our best food experience ever was a meal of homemade seamer
clam chowder (with vegetables from a neighbor’s garden) with clams dug by us
and the kids, followed by berry cobbler from berries picked by our children.
Even if you are really into food and cooking (which we are) -- it just doesn’t get any better than when
you catch/pick it yourself! He also enjoys exposing the kids to these
activities – below is a picture of our four year old daughter, Rosemary,
enjoying Pollack which she caught and helped clean herself. James – our family’s very creative, curious,
patient chef – understands that food is love!
5. Will not taking an animal affect your experience?
James seemed really excited by his duck hunting experience,
despite not shooting a duck, so I doubt it. I think he’ll be content to get out
there in nature, and learn about the process itself – and to taste the wild
game which we don’t get to do too often!
6. How do you intend to use any animals taken?
6. How do you intend to use any animals taken?
If we have any to take home we’ll definitely eat it! And,
more likely than not, make wonderful meals to share with family and friends.
7. What animal or bird do you think you would enjoy hunting the most?
7. What animal or bird do you think you would enjoy hunting the most?
I think James is particularly curious about hunting for wild
hogs.
8. Will your family or friends enjoy eating wild game if you harvest an animal?
8. Will your family or friends enjoy eating wild game if you harvest an animal?
Of course! We definitely tend to attract friends that enjoy
preparing and sharing wonderful meals.
9. What is your hunting background?
9. What is your hunting background?
See above – only gone hunting once (for ducks). James has
gone to the shooting range a few times, but nothing more than that.



No comments:
Post a Comment