Monday, September 12, 2011

Back to school!

We never thought it could happen (and we still wonder if he'll get kicked out) but... Louis started school! As is typical with kids when they start school, he's already stayed home sick one day (actually the first day of school!) but these pictures are from his first day/the second day. His one and only friend Wilder came over to walk with us to school. Its amazing to me how much Wilder has grown -- he's six weeks older than Louis but seems to be over the separation anxiety (not to mention he talks and is potty trained...grr...). I babysat Wilder one morning in March and he cried so loud and so long and so piteously that I had to call his mom... now with school I haven't seen him cry once!


Looking a little scared, but remaining stoic as we walk into the school. James's siblings say this scowl is all James, but, to me, it reminds me of little Maureen. Of course, Maureen wasn't as brave -- she cried the ENTIRE 10 minute walk from the house to 1st grade. And Louis did cry when we got in the classroom (and so did I), but I stayed and played trucks with him a few minutes, and he seemed to accept Ms. Melissa holding him as I left. I stayed outside for a little while, and he seemed OK after about five minutes.

Today, however, his fourth day of school, and no tears at all! He was a little worried, but went to Ms. Jennifer and sat on her lap at the playdough table. I chatted away with the teachers and he started to settle down -- and even five minutes later, when I left, no tears. Rosemary has been really sweet with him at school -- they go to the playground at the same time, and to music class, and I heard both from her and from her teachers that she has sat next to him and stayed with him the whole time. Today they had their first day of chapel, and he did cry a little when Rosemary's class left chapel, apparently... In any case, his teachers say he's been doing very well, not crying any more or less than anyone else (its a young class) and, although he's tired when I' pick him up, he seems really happy and excited.

Louis continues to be an adorable, happy little kid, although he does have a serious temper and stubborn streak. He doesn't really speak at all... except "mom" and "bye" and "da" (meaning cheers"). At times, he's been known to say, "bird," "plane," "apple," and "I want that," but all were fairly short-lived. He does seem to understand quite a lot more even over the course of the summer. His hobbies chiefly include moving large objects (obsessively, its replaced the sticks phase), teasing his sister, and watering plants with the hose.

Rosemary is of course thrilled to be back in school -- she obviously loves it and is actually clearly happier when she has school (she was pretty much a terror all summer -- her only entertainment seemed to be to test us). I actually think we are past the awkward 3 1/2 rebellion post-baby pre-reason stage :-) She is going to take science class on Wednesdays after regular school, where they are currently doing experiments with color (seemed to be a big hit -- I've heard more about science than any of her other school activities) and dance class again on Fridays -- this time with many of her friends who were too young to do it last year. She is really truly on the verge of reading -- she knows all the letter sounds and can sound out simple words -- she was delighted to figure out the word "tools" on the sign at Home Depot this weekend, for example.

Louis's FIRST EVER painting is depicted below. His mother is too mean to actually let him paint at home and mess up the house, which is probably why he LOVED it so much at preschool. As you can see, he has a way to go since his parents never developed him. Go St. Marks! They have a dedicated art teacher this year, so the kids should enjoy that. Rosemary always enjoys the art projects in a fairly type-A way (e.g. lining up all the colors neatly in a row), but I wonder if Louis will be more free-form creative...

No comments: