Thursday, February 4, 2010

My gorgeous children


I know I'm not supposed to say it, but aren't they?

January was a busy month. We started out with a ten day trip to Austin with my family (see previous blog post for pictures), which was nice and relaxing. Rosemary had a really good time with Aunt Mo and Aunt Julie -- she would tell them to dance and "stay under the table" and they would obey. In Austin she also worked very, very hard and finally figured out how to open door knobs. A new power she lords over everyone -- often she won't let you leave a room unless she decides to open the door first.


I know that encouraging this love of accessorizing is going to come back to haunt us, and James keeps accusing me of reinforcing gender expectations, but hey... a little glamor never hurt anyone?
















Uncle Moof came to visit us on his way to London -- it was great to see him and to introduce him to Baby Louis. As usual, Louis took to him well -- and so did Rosemary. She really had fun showing him around the Museum of Natural History. Unfortunately the Spindler kids bring rain as it POURED the whole week he was here (as it did when Katy was here in December), but we still had a great time.

Somehow all that socializing with adults over Christmas must have rubbed off on her as the biggest change this month I noticed when we got home -- the way she interacts with other kids. She really plays with kids now in a way she NEVER used to. In fact, I used to dread going to playgroup a little -- lots of crying (sobbing) about sharing toys (especially if they were her things at our house) and total emotional breakdowns over little things I didn't usually understand (including any criticism whatsoever). I kind of assumed it would just continue to be a problem (James and I were both pretty shy introverted kids), but I figured we should keep at it so that it would become less traumatic for all involved to socialize. But she's like a different girl now. She tells me at playgroup that she doesn't want to go home, and that it was "fun to have new friends" (we have some new playgroup members) and she really plays with other kids (not just their moms, she always liked their moms), and she can take turns. She often bosses other kids around, but they seem to follow her so it works out :-)

Oh, and my favorite of her new sayings is, "Shall we?" as in, "Mama, shall we play set-sos?" (her term for her stacking pegs, I don't' know why).















Evidence of Rosemary's new cooperative skills -- baby air hockey!


Since head lifting is one of the first developmental milestones we had to take the requisite video of Louis, although its admittedly not very exciting :-) In fact, I didn't even know he could do it until I took him to his 3 month check-up and the doctor put him on his tummy. Apparently, he can! She said he's very strong and healthy, and 14 lbs 5 oz (putting him at about 50th percentile for height/weight with a huge head).


Louis is comparatively mellow -- he's six weeks younger than Bellina on the right but they clearly have different personalities!

More of Rosemary the gourmet...her new favorite food is "Rainbow Fish food" (those of you who are parents know the book), a.k.a. seaweed.

No comments: